Bronze Award criteria
STEPS 1, 2 and 3 ONLY
On average schools take around 3 months to move from registration to Bronze, this first stage is about setting the foundations to becoming a fully fledged Eco-School.
Step 1: Eco-Committee
- OPTIONAL FOR FIRST GREEN FLAG: At least one pupil from each year group is on your Eco-Committee including KS1, KS2, KS3 and KS4. Nurseries, colleges and SEN schools can adapt their Eco-Committee to suit their setting. Please note it is not necessary to appoint a new Eco-Committee each academic year.
- Your Eco-Committee meet at least once every half-term.
- Pupils share responsibility with adults for running meetings and keeping a record of meetings.
- Meeting minutes are displayed on your Eco-Board.
- OPTIONAL FOR FIRST GREEN FLAG: There is representation from parents, governors or senior management on your Eco-Committee, however, they do not have to attend every meeting. When they cannot attend meetings, the Eco-Committee are responsible for updating them.
- Pupil representatives ensure that there is communication to and from the Eco-Committee to the rest of the school.
Step 2: Environmental Review
- The Eco-Schools Environmental Review covering all ten Eco-Schools topics is completed by pupils, with adult supervision.
- A copy of your Eco-Schools Environmental Review must be displayed on your Eco-Board and the results communicated with the whole school.
- It is compulsory for the Green Flag award that your Eco-Schools Environmental Review is updated every two years to coincide with your Green Flag renewal application, however, best practice is to complete it every year.
Step 3: Action Plan
- Your Eco-Committee produces an Action Plan influenced by their Eco-Schools Environmental Review.
- Pupils on the Eco-Committee take responsibility for leading their chosen topic actions: three topics for your first Green Flag and five topics for all Green Flag renewals (changing two of the five topics with every subsequent renewal application).
- Your Action Plan contains timescales, who is responsible for the actions and how your topic actions will be monitored and evaluated.
- Your Eco-Committee shares the Action Plan with the whole of the school.
- A copy of your Action Plan must be displayed on your Eco-Board.
If you feel you have met the criteria listed below login to your Eco-Schools account to complete the free, self-assessed Bronze Award!
You can view all the questions you will be asked on your self-assessment or download a paper version to complete with your Eco-Committee by clicking here.
Once you have achieved your Bronze Award more of our free resources will become available via your Eco-Schools login, to help you on your next steps to the Silver Award.