Hello Eco-Coordinator! We are now just 13 days away from the 2023 Eco-Schools Green Flag application window opening on 1st May. To help with your application, this months newsletter contains a plethora of information about the Eco-Schools Green Flag and the application process, hopefully answering any questions you might have and encouraging you to click ‘submit’ on your application!
…and don’t forget there is still plenty of time to complete more eco-actions that can be used as evidence on your application this year, if you missed it in previous newsletters, check out our Eco-Schools Ideas resource for inspiration.
Watch this video to explore what it means to achieve an internationally-recognised Eco-Schools Green Flag.
This step-by-step video will seamlessly guide you through the process of submitting an Eco-Schools Green Flag application.
Eco-Schools’ Training Session 3 – Register Now
Registration for Eco-Schools Training Session 3 is now live and you can sign up for free by clicking the link below! This training session is relevant to all, whether you have previously attended training or not.
The session includes lots of real-life examples from successful Eco-Schools and covers:
- Step 6: how to monitor effectively in an engaging way.
- Step 7: creating the perfect Eco-Code.
- The Application Process: everything you need to know about the assessment process.
Places are limited, so register quickly to avoid disappointment!
Duracell’s Big Battery Hunt
Challenge your pupils to find as many used batteries as possible and recycle them for the chance to Win £3,500 towards garden and outdoor equipment for your school with the Big Battery Hunt. It’s a great way to push your school towards a prestigious Eco-Schools Green Flag award.
Once registered you’ll have access to free, fun curriculum-linked resources to teach the importance of recycling. Including a delivery guide, activity sheets, and a community engagement kit to help get everyone involved!
With your help, the Big Battery Hunt can recycle millions of used batteries, so don’t delay, register today!
‘What Happens After You Submit an Eco-Schools Application?’
- You will receive an acknowledgement e-mail, which also contains details about paying for your accreditation. If you don’t receive this e-mail within 24 hours check your junk folder then get in touch with the Eco-Schools Team.
- Unless you have been notified that your Green Flag fee is being covered by a payment partner, within two working days you will receive an invoice for £200+VAT.
- In the meantime, your application goes to our team of Eco-Schools assessors, who aim to assess applications as quickly as possible:
If there is a key piece of evidence missing from your application, we will send an e-mail advising on what is missing and reopen your application so it can be edited and resubmitted before the window closes.
If your application is a pass, you will receive a notification e-mail containing bespoke feedback and next steps from one of our assessors.
- When an application has been passed and payment has been made, your Green Flag and certificate will be shipped. Our team do this weekly on a Thursday.
- You will then receive our digital award pack. This award pack contains Eco-Schools logos, pupil certificates, press release templates, and a variety of hand-picked discount offers exclusive to Eco-Schools Green Flag award winners.
Cut Your Carbon: A Big Thank You!
We just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has participated in our first-ever Cut Your Carbon campaign. We were absolutely blown away by your support, and with your help plan to make this campaign even bigger and better in the future… in fact we can already provide you with a small update: next year’s campaign will be taking place in November.
A further thank you to everyone who submitted their Cut Your Carbon data, we will include a summary of the project in our annual Impact Report. And congratulations to Walthamstow Hall Senior School, Haute Vallee School, and Inspire Academy, who won our Cut Your Carbon competition and have been selected to receive funding for their Eco-Schools Green Flag this year!